Monday, July 5, 2010

The "Great" Outdoors





Chris' family goes camping a few times each summer. Chris loves camping, I do not share the same love. But I went happily, kind of. This would be the longest I have ever been camping for, 4 days and 3 nights!
Chris and I live the farthest away from all of his family so we do not get to see them as often as we would like. So these trips are great because we get to see everyone all together. All of his siblings were there so it was really nice.

We left Thursday morning and made a few stops on the way. As we started getting closer, the weather started to get a little sketchy. All of a sudden we were stuck in a hail storm!! I have never seen so much hail in my life! It covered the road completely. But it didn't last long.



We got there set up our tent. We have a little two person tent that fits our air mattress and not much else. We had a nice little area, far away from other people, because we like to sleep in. Then we park our car right next to it and live out of our car for the next 4 days. It has our cooler, jackets, soap and water i insisted on bringing, books, and anything else we could possibly need.





We went 4-wheeling a lot! I have been practicing my driving and Chris really loves this place we went because it has a ton of trails for 4-wheeling. I do not like the trails as much, they are steep, tiny, and scary. My fear only increased after an "incident". I was driving and I took the corner the wrong way and there happened to be a tree on the side of the path. I hit the tree and we started to tip. Chris FLEW off and landed a few feet away. I jumped off. I looked over at Chris and he was lying in the bushes and he was telling me to catch the 4-wheeler. I turned around and it started rolling down the mountain!! (I don't know how to catch a 4-wheeler) So i run after it and grab the grate and hold it long enough for Chris to get up and help me. He was fine, a few grass stains, nothing Oxy clean couldn't get out! But I am a wreck. I threw my husband off a 4-wheeler and nearly killed him! I am never driving or gettting on one again. But the problem is that we happen to be far away from camp. So after crying and checking each of Chris' limbs 100 times, he convinces me that it is fine, he is fine, and I should get back on. So i hold on tight and close my eyes!
I did end up driving again but not on the paths, just on the road. I am too scared to drive on the paths again. But I did go on some jumps, well hills for me I guess. And I went about 8 mph!! Which is fast considering I threw Chris off just the day before!

I am very grateful for Chris' sister Camille and her husband Matt. They have a tent trailer so whenever it rained, or I needed to put contacts in, or was just sick of the bugs, I could go hang out in there. They were very nice to the fact that I hate the outdoors. As an added bonus, they also have the cutest kid in the world, Molly, and we love her!

I don't think I will ever get over how many stars you can see out in the woods. It is so beautiful. We could even see the milky way! And i think i saw at least 5 shooting stars. It was incredible. And to top off the whole trip, I invited a new campfire dessert, roasted oreos! They were yummy!!!

We were planning on leaving pretty early on Sunday morning since Chris had to work a grave shift that night. Everyone else was leaving then too. But we woke up to some scary looking skies and just about everyone in the whole camp ground packing up! It started pouring and it was freezing. Luckily we got all of our stuff packed up before the heavy rains but some were not so lucky.

We headed back to Logan for a 3-4 hour drive. We were deep in the Spanish Fork Canyon, about 10,000 feet above sea level. It was raining pretty hard as we drove and then it turned to snow! It was sticking to the road and grass. But we made it out and of course, outside of the canyon, it was sunny and 90 degrees!

It was a good trip, it was nice to be around family and have time with Chris without worrying about work and everything else. Though I do not love camping, I love Chris and I will continue to keep going and hopefully be a little more fun to be around!





2 comments:

Erin P. said...

So this updating the blog, is going to be a once a year thing? It is good to hear from you. It sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a true camper, give it a few more years and you'll learn to love it :)

Tiffany said...

Hey! It was good to hear from you! I was wondering if you two were doing okay. Chris is lucky to have a wife who is willing to do things with him - even if it means camping! It's not so bad once you get used to it.